McGill University - Obstetrics and Gynecology - Montreal
There are many advantages in coming to train in Montreal. Without doubt this is one of the best cities in North America. Montreal is the most "European" of cities on this continent. It has a unique 'joie de vivre'.
The residents' contract in Quebec is generous and contributes to both the quality of life and to the educational goals of our residents. Financial compensation meets or equals those of most Canadian universities. Study leave, conference leave and one month vacation are such that the residents' working conditions are also very competitive.
Your future as an Obstetrician and Gynecologist on completion of your residency at McGill is assured. You will have graduated from an internationally recognized, highly respected and demanding program. Our graduates have been welcomed in every part of North and South America and in Europe, the Middle and Far East. It need not be said that this includes every province in Canada.
One of the major strengths of our program is that we are an important part of a world class university. McGill University has an international reputation as a teaching and research institution. Members of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at McGill gain from our close collegial association with the rest of the clinical and basic science Faculty. The relationships are especially rewarding in our collaborative research projects.
The residency program at McGill has been gaining strength. In recent years, the pace of change has been especially noteworthy. Our program graduates have outstanding success with examinations, obtaining fellowships, finding employment and to win prizes at national and international meetings. Graduates are recognized as extremely well trained "all-rounders" that have a wealth of clinical experience and a unique research background. There are ongoing improvements and innovations to the program. To mention a few:
- there is generous support both financial and in terms of liberation from clinical responsibilities for resident research studies and presentations and attendance at local, national and international meetings and conferences
- prestigious awards: the Molson and Alexander prizes are given annually for clinical or scientific excellence
- global health initiative with the The Dr. Alice Benjamin Global Maternal and Child Health Fund
- mentorship program
- a constantly expending Simulation program assisted by the Steinberg Centre for Simulation and Interactive Learning
- an ever evolving night float system
- a strong and committed teaching of ultrasound
- the roll-out of CBME
Our mission is to train a generation of knowledgeable and skilled obstetricians and gynecologists. Successful residents will have surpassed the requirements of the Royal College of Canada and be proficient clinicians. Many will continue in an academic career at a national or international level. Further, we as program strive to educate and guide our residents to be well-rounded, and highly skilled OBGYNs, meeting all the competences of the Royal College of Canada.