McMaster University - Psychiatry - Waterloo
The McMaster Psychiatry Postgraduate Program at the Waterloo Regional Campus is to promote the achievement of the Royal College CanMEDS competencies such that graduates will be well-trained to work as psychiatrists in community hospitals and outpatient settings, to provide care for marginalized and vulnerable populations.
Unique highlights of the program include:
- Training in a variety of hospital, community and rural settings.
- Training that supports the development of the knowledge, skills and experiences required to function independently as a competent psychiatrist in a community based setting
- Outstanding clinical learning opportunities in a variety of settings
- Robust psychotherapy training
- A cohesive resident group
- A unique system for academic learning in the One Room Schoolhouse which has been very well received by the resident body
- Responsiveness to resident ideas and initiatives
- Individualized training experiences with flexibility by the program
- Strong support for scholarship in research, education and academic realms
- Dedicated, enthusiastic faculty
Program application language: English
How many positions are available in each campus this year?
- In Hamilton, there are 7 positions for Canadian Medical Graduates. One of these will be for the Clinician Investigator Program direct entry. There is also 1 position for an International Medical Graduate.
- In Waterloo, there are 2 positions for Canadian Medical Graduates.
Are separate applications required for the Hamilton & Waterloo Campuses?
Yes. Candidates must submit separate applications for each of the Hamilton and Waterloo Campuses. Interviews are offered separately for each campus.
Is a separate application required for the Clinician Investigator Program spot in Hamilton?
Yes. If you wish to be considered for the Hamilton Campus even if not offered the CIP position, a separate application to the Hamilton Campus (non-CIP) program.
Can I apply to the Clinician Investigator Program at a later time in my residency?
Yes. Residents can apply at any time to the Clinician Investigator Program.
Do I need to have completed an elective at McMaster to be considered for McMaster?
No. An elective at McMaster is not required.