Northern Ontario School of Medicine - Pediatrics - East (Sudbury & North Bay)
This four year residency program improves upon the traditional tertiary center-based training model by providing residents with extensive training opportunities in northern urban centers under the supervision of general pediatric consultants. In addition to world- class subspecialty and acute care rotations at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), the northern rotations provide the learner with extensive opportunities to develop the skills necessary to fulﬁll all of the CanMEDS roles. By honing their clinical and problem-solving abilities in a preceptor supervised environment, distant from extensive subspecialty support, residents have the opportunity to develop into conﬁdent, practical, skilled clinicians. A full exposure to tertiary subspecialty and acute care rotations is maintained throughout the residency.
Although the philosophy of training in this program has been developed from the practice of general consultant pediatricians, upon completion of the program, residents will be well positioned to pursue subspecialty training if they choose or embark upon a career in general consulting pediatrics.
Residents are required to provide their own vehicle. It is strongly recommended that residents have a laptop computer.
Distance learning in the northern centers is enabled by state-of-the-art telemedicine facilities. Resources and opportunities for additional learning, including electives and conferences, will also be made available.
Highlights of the NOSM Pediatric program:
- Commitment to the NOSM social accountability mandate with hands on teaching in social advocacy.
- Commitment to resident learning.
- Exceptional lifestyle balance with a wide variety of outstanding Northern Ontario recreational opportunities.
- Unparalleled preceptor support from physicians committed to practicing in Northern Ontario. Early integration as a key member of an integrated health care team dedicated to professionalism, high quality patient care and excellent medical education.
- Self-directed, learner-centered training to meet your career goals.
- For residents beginning in July 2021, the Competence By Design (CBD) curriculum will be officially launched. The 4 stages of CBD are mapped over 4 years, after which residents can choose to apply to a subspecialty. The program has been piloting CBD for over two years now, and has gained much experience in the new design.
How can I find out more about the program?
The NOSM web site has information about the pediatric program and email contact information. Follow the this link.
How do I find out more information about your training sites (homebase)?
There are four training sites for the NOSM Pediatric program. The West sites are Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie and the East sites are Sudbury and North Bay with all residents training in Ottawa. To find out more on these sites follow this link.
Where do I find out about any promotional events for your program?
Learn more about the program special event:
Monday, November 16th,2020 & Monday, November 30th, 2020 (WebEx Details below)
Time: 7pm to 8pm
NOSM Pediatric Program Presentation
This presentation is focused on providing medical students interested in pediatrics an overview of the NOSM Pediatric program. There will be a short didactic introduction to the program which will be delivered by the Program Director and chief resident(s). Participants will then have the opportunity to break into smaller groups to chat with current residents and the Program Director.
November 16th, 2020 @ 7pm-8pm
Meeting number: 171 438 7922 Password: 1111
November 30th, 2020@ 7pm-8pm
Meeting number: 171 301 0862 Password: 2222