University of Ottawa - Pediatrics - Ottawa
- As a training program in an academic pediatric hospital, we achieve the optimal balance between supervised clinical practice and emerging independence and provide direct contact with a variety of expert faculty supervisors. This is enhanced by the involvement of engaged Community Pediatrics faculty.
- We are the only pediatric hospital in the region serving a large catchment area, which provides the opportunity for exposure to common pediatric conditions as well as those unique to tertiary care pediatrics, covering subspecialty representation from all disciplines.
- Residents are exposed to Community Pediatrics throughout their training and are provided with opportunities to complete rotations in a rural and remote settings Note that in 2021-22 this may be modified due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Residents have an opportunity to pursue interprovincial and international electives (a supervisor and objectives must be identified and approved by the Program Director). . Note that in 2021-22 this may be modified due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- We provide a rich on-call experience which allows for both night float systems and 24-hour call experiences. This is valued by our residents for its variety of clinical contact and continuous opportunities for on-call experiences in several areas of the hospital throughout the 4 years of residency.
We have a strong research component in the department and an affiliation with the CHEO Research Institute. Residents who wish to further develop their research portfolio are well supported and mentored by several CHEO-based researchers with nationally and internationally recognized research programs. We encourage scholarly questions in a variety of areas including basic science, clinical, medical education, quality improvement and advocacy. In 2021 we will be launched Research Intensive Residency Stream (RIRS). For more information, please see the information provided in the RIRS stream description.
All candidates must meet the Ontario criteria of eligibility.